Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What’s hereafter?

I know this might come out strongly as being preaching but in all modesty, I am who I am today and owe my life and my everything to God without whom im nothing or would be nothing..
There have been several circumstances playing themselves out in my head over the past couple of weeks. I have been having dreams far beyond my thoughts and in all of these dreams; the aligning question has always being, after death, what’s the hereafter?

This morning, I woke up from a fearful dream. In my dream, I saw this couple who had always been my neighbors back home in Nigeria. They were the toast of every young kid, every adult and every woman who really wanted a home with a man. They loved each other, held hands openly on the streets and their love was undeniable even to the blind. Then suddenly, tragedy like a whirlwind struck and all this man had in life began to shatter.

First, the mother got terribly hit by a car. She was hospitalized but was recuperating really slow until she lost the will to live and gave up the ghost. He was devastated. He was broken. He had no words to describe his grief as things fell apart in his life.. and as if that wasn’t enough, his wife took ill suddenly after the demise of the mother in-law and what would have passed for a mere fever took her life. I was on my way home from an outing, oblivious of what was going on. Getting to my street, I saw crowds gathered in twos, in threes, whispering in low tones, some were weeping profusely, while some couldn’t hold it and were drooling on the floor. Some had multiple meaningless expressions on their faces that made it hard to decipher what was going on. Then, I saw my lil brotha on the corner and beckoned to him to inquire what was going on, then he broke what would be one of the shocking news I would think woke me up from my slumber, ‘that the woman died’. I didn’t know what to think neither did I have words to offer. Words failed me immensely at that moment. This was far more than a rude shock.

Then it began to dawn on me as I woke up and started thinking. In one fell swoop, the celebrated couple lost his mom and then the wife. He lost everything in life. He lost his covering. He lost his love. He lost a part of his life and ultimately became a wounded man with a deep hole within his soul. Perhaps, he lost his head too because this was way more than what any sane man can handle at a time. He was shattered in pieces and calamity took a spot in his home all too suddenly. What would I do I asked myself, if after all I had ever labored for in life goes with the wind?
What would I do supposing all my family was in a bus on a journey and something untoward happens and I lose them all? What’s would I do supposing my only garb was shredded in the open, I mean what’s the next thing after death if after all the labor of love and hard work, one can’t still stop the will of God in one’s life..What’s next folks..I need answers…

8 comments:

  1. This is such a touching story. What would I do? I don't know. So sorry, no answers. Lots of tots though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is full of the unknown.
    That's a question we may never knw the answer to
    Such a tragic story

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is scary...what kinda dream is that one. Olorun maje. Please I'd rather not think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. this is deep. Well, all I know is that I like to pray that the things I want, need, desire be in God's will. Honestly, there is little any of us can do, but hope for the best.

    I hope all is well with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Start again, thats the first thing that comes to mind, life is not over make the best of what you have left, sounds coldhearted but time does heal wounds no matter how deep they are, the scars remain though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its so sad, that saying that God will not give you something you cannot handle but seriously could anyone handle this?

    ReplyDelete