Saturday, November 7, 2009

Misunderstood

As a rejoinder to my last post Swallow your pride, I got this comment (a very lovely poem) from my big brother, CareyCarey..To be real, I fell in love with it INSTANTLY but wanted to share to have your take on it…And you can also show him some love here.. http://careycarey-carrymehome.blogspot.com/...Trust me, he’s good!

MISUNDERSTOOD

I said I cried last night, didn’t say I died last night.
Came through the storm, was all right last night.
I cried tears of joy.
I wanted to be with them, not in them.
A longing for their presence
Had a hole, a role
Could have filled it with another star
But the part was made for them.
Others could have pulled it off
Everybody would have been paid
But that part was made for them.
Who said it? I didn't.
I said they left, too many nights filled with images of them.
Too many vows broken, the pain--had nothing left in my heart
Nothing but disdain for them.
What did you read?
The paper said divorced, not used,
not someone’s unwanted item to be taken for granted and taken to the resale shop
It said divorced, not nearly new... should say new.
Does it say I am not whole?
Is there an asterisk saying I am missing parts?
Where did it say I was void of love, compassion, hope ...dreams?
Does divorce strip a man of his manhood?
Does divorce imply that a women is love-less?
Where does it say nuclear waste!?
I fell down, rolled around, I got up.
That road is behind me.
My road is in front of me.
Read it again, did it say I was a toy to be played with?
Did it say spin this, use this, anyone can do THIS?
Divorced...read it one more time.
I doubt it...
I doubt it said without principles, absent of love.
Is softness and strong bold convictions the sole possessions of newlyweds.
If you think so, you got me twisted, convuluted
You got me messed up
You have me MISUNDERSTOOD!

CareyCarey

6 comments:

  1. Oh he's very good, Trybes. The poem makes very deep meaning.

    Let me go see his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello TRYBES,

    Thanks for posting my poem. Without being specific, my vocation involves people in "storms". I am a speaker.

    I am also a widower, yet that poem speaks to my journey and the struggles of those that have gone through a divorce. As a man that lost his wife to cancer, many believed I should act a cetain way.

    I am sure divorced woman can relate. I've heard the stories of many women that spoke of men treating/viewing them as damaged goods or desparate for love and attention. We all need the touch of another but not at the expensive of our morals and principle.

    That poem relates to so many men and woman that others wish to sterotype, because of past indiscretions, or life involvements.

    I am around woman that are released from prison because of a crime. Many will not let them forget their past. Many individuals have drug problems. Some believe in the old saying "once a junkie, always a junkie". That statement is not true.

    All in all, that poem can speak to anyone that is trying to shake the misconceptions of a past "title" or present one. Just take out "divorced" and plug in your own "title".

    We've all have been "ex" something - really. I tell people to look behind me to see if it's dark back there, because I am not looking back.

    Thanks again, I hope your readers can relate.

    Hey, I have a post coming up tomorrow (late, after church), that I think you might enjoy. I am going to drop your name. You'll see :-)

    Tell your friends to stop by. I am sure there will be a day in which I use them in a post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this kinda brothers in my life to be writing me poems biko.

    This is too lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow
    i'm completely blown away

    deep stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing this is a Lovely poem.make a fav today

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really like commenting on poems but i love this one!

    ReplyDelete